By: Susan Adams, M. Ed.
Great Tips for Stepfathers
- Develop relationships before attempting discipline.
- Help your partner establish rules but don't YOU be the enforcer too soon.
- Let your partner tell you when you can begin to enforce.
- Take the side of the stepchildren where you can.
- Negotiate chore issues.
- Discuss with your partner if you feel undermined.
- Remind the children that their mother loves them despite your presence in their lives.
- Discuss appropriate dress, privacy, and modesty standards with the teenage children.
- Share yourself, spend time with each stepchild.
- Be discreet with physical attention.